By Kristen Hankla, The Post and Courier May 28, 2008
FOLLY BEACH — Smokers can exhale — and inhale — after Folly Beach City Council rejected a smoking ban Tuesday in a 4-3 vote.
Walterboro and Beaufort passed a smoking ban Tuesday night, joining Charleston, Mount Pleasant and Sullivan’s Island, while North Charleston voted earlier this month against a smoking ban.
“North Charleston got it right, I believe,” Folly Councilman Tom Scruggs said. “Let the businesses decide their destiny, not this government.”
Of the nearly 25 people who spoke during a public hearing immediately before the vote, 17 were against the ordinance that would have prohibited smoking in indoor workplaces.
“I don’t drink, I don’t go to bars, but I do believe this is a matter of private property rights,” resident Fred Holland said. “Some day we’ve got to quit letting the government rule our lives.”
Many of those opposed to the ordinance work in the food and beverage industry, including Richard Weatherford of The Sand Dollar.
“I’ve been in business for 34 years, and chances are I’m going to go out of business if you all pass this,” he said.
Those in favor of the smoking ban cited public health. They included resident and physician Darlene Rawls, who said any council member who voted against it should visit a person on oxygen, or someone going through chemotherapy.
The three council members who voted for the ban were Laura Beck, Dave Stormer and Charlie McCarty. Those against it were Scruggs, Eddie Ellis, Tim Goodwin and Mayor Carl Beckmann Jr.