People Ban: WV Kanawha County
Smoking policy blogger questions study on Kanawha ban
July 17, 2011
By Veronica? Nett
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The conclusions drawn by the authors of a recent study conducted by the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department that links indoor smoking bans to a decrease in hospital admissions for heart attacks “flies in the face of logic,” said a Boston University professor and smoking policy blogger.
“The most interesting thing is that the study doesn’t conclude what it actually finds,” said Dr. Michael Siegel, professor of Community Health Sciences at Boston University School of Public Health.
Siegel, author of the blog “The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary,” posted a review earlier this month of the Kanawha County study.
In June, researchers with the Health Department and the West Virginia University Prevention Research Center linked a 37 percent decline in the heart attack hospitalization rate from 2000 to 2008 to a countywide smoking ban in the study, “Clean Indoor Air Regulation and Incidence of Hospital Admissions for Acute Coronary Syndrome in Kanawha County, West Virginia.”
The study was published in the online medical journal Preventing Chronic Disease and also was posted to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Preventing Chronic Disease Public Health Research, Practice and Policy website.
The only major change that took place during the study’s time period from 2000 to 2008 was the county’s revision of its smoking ban in 2004 to remove smoking sections in all restaurants and most work places, Siegel said in an interview with the Gazette last week.
“The study and the results show there was a consistent decline in heart attacks during that entire period,” Siegel said. “It was gradually going down, and it just continued going down at the same rate [after the start of the 2004 smoking ban].
“What I would have to conclude from this data is that the smoking ban would seem to have no effect in the rate of heart attack admissions in the county.”
Siegel instead attributes the steady decline to improvements in preventive care, medication and technology to treat heart disease.
“If you look almost anywhere in the United States during this time period, heart disease is declining,” Siegel said. “If they would have found anything other than a decline, I would have been shocked, because that’s the general trend everywhere.”
The authors of the study — Dr. Rahul Gupta, head of the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department, Anita Ray of county Health Department and Robert Anderson and Juhua Luo of WVU’s Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center — were unavailable for comment Friday.
The aim of the study, as stated by the authors’ published report, was to monitor the rate of heart attack admissions during an eight-year period in a community with existing clean indoor air regulations.
Kanawha County in 1995 implemented its clean indoor air regulation that banned smoking in most public places, including retail stores, elevators, restrooms, public transportation systems, waiting areas and public meeting areas, such as school buildings.
The ordinance exempted bars and allowed restaurants to designate up to half of their seating as smoking sections.
For $1, patrons can smoke at Charleston bar
Ban-defying bar reopens with twist: charity donation
October 29, 2008
By Eric Eyre, Staff writer
CHARLESTON, W.Va. – A Charleston bar that openly defied Kanawha County’s smoking ban until a fire forced it to shut down three weeks ago is reopening today.
But this time there’s catch for Blackhawk Saloon customers who want to light up:? They’ll be required to hand over a canned good, toy or dollar bill – items and money that the bar’s owner promises to donate to charity.
“I’ll trade an ashtray for a can of green beans,” said Kerry “Paco” Ellison, who owns the Blackhawk. “That buys you the right to smoke. If you can afford to buy cigarettes, you can afford to give somebody a dollar.”
Last month, the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department filed misdemeanor charges against the Blackhawk and five other bars and gambling parlors for smoking ban violations. Ellison’s arraignment is set for Nov. 14 in Kanawha County Magistrate Court.
Ellison had repeatedly encouraged his patrons to light up in defiance of the county’s 3-month-old smoking ban.
On Oct. 8, a small fire broke out in the bar, forcing customers to evacuate. Ellison blamed a faulty water heater for the blaze.
On Tuesday, Ellison estimated that he spent $10,000 to replace ceiling joists, electrical panels, walls and doors destroyed by the fire.
Ellison said the state Alcohol Beverage Control Administration and Health Department have approved the Blackhawk’s reopening. Health officials asked Ellison to remove the large “Smokers’ Welcome” sign outside the building, but he refused.?
Kanawha bars hold protest against smoking ban
August 19, 2008
By Eric Eyre, Staff writer
Nobody’s going to tell Kerry “Paco” Ellison’s customers they can’t smoke at his bar.
The Black Hawk Saloon is Ellison’s bar, and he’ll run it as he sees fit.
“If I don’t want to pray, I don’t go to church,” Ellison said. “If you don’t want to smoke, don’t come in here.”
Today, Ellison and at least a dozen other bar owners across the county defiantly encouraged their patrons to smoke in violation of the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department’s six-week-old smoking ban.
Ellison said he’s sick and tired of playing by the rules while his competitors secretly allow their customers to light up. He’s called the Health Department to complain, but nothing is done, he said.
“Either rescind the order or enforce it,” Ellison said. “Either make it happen or let it go. I want a level playing field.”
Two Health Department sanitarians inspected Ellison’s bar and outside patio — where smoking is allowed — a half-hour before it opened this afternoon. No warnings or fines were issued, Ellison said.
“They were very cut and dry, to the point,” Ellison recalled. “I said, ‘Is that it?’ ‘For now,’ they said.”
The Health Department regulations prohibit smoking in bars, gambling parlors and the Tri-State Racetrack & Gaming Center.
Other Kanawha County bars that took part in today’s protest included The Empty Glass; The Pour House Sports Bar; Julie J’s; Number 8; The Pump; Sham’s; Lucky Laverty’s; McNalley’s Pub; Smiley’s; Dave’s Tavern; and The Dream Tank.
Health board President Brenda Isaac called the bar owners a “rebel group.”
“This is a very small percentage of bars in the county,” Isaac said. “It’s too bad they’re getting all this publicity. Most of the bar owners are very law-abiding.”
Isaac said the Health Department would issue a warning to bars that violate the smoking ban. Bars that continue to thumb their noses at the regulations will face sanctions — a $200 to $1,000 fine in Magistrate Court, if found guilty.
Isaac said the department is investigating all complaints, with the vast majority being filed by bar owners who allege their competitors are ignoring the smoking ban. The Health Department has seven sanitarians who inspect bars and restaurants for food and smoking violations.
Business was booming tonight at the Black Hawk Saloon, which opened four months ago.
Cigarette and cigar smoke clouded the room. The bar’s regulars and new customers puffed away, thrilled they had a place to smoke and drink a beer.
“Freedom!” someone shouted.
“Light up, girls!” yelled another patron as two women entered the bar.
Ellison and his customers wanted to send a message to the Health Department: They’re fed up with the smoking ban.
“It’s an infringement of my individual rights,” said Barbara Lutes. “If you do not want to come to a place that has smoking, don’t come. Just have a sign on the door: ‘This is a smoking establishment.’ “
Susan O’Neal said people are tired of having to leave the air-conditioned bar and walk outside under a hot sun to smoke.
“You have people outside who are going to have a heat stroke,” O’Neal said.
John Sheets, who sat at the bar sipping a Budweiser, couldn’t agree more.
“Our country’s becoming more communist every day,” Sheets said. “It’s my right to come here and smoke. I’ll sit here and smoke until they shut ‘er down.”
Debbie Knight, who owns the Halfway Home bar down the street, said Health Department inspectors — armed with a tape measure — paid her bar a visit today and scolded her for allowing customers to smoke on an outside patio that wasn’t 15 feet from the bar’s back door. The patio cost $500 to build, Knight said.
“This smoking ban is costing me money,” said Knight, who said her bar and video lottery sales have declined since the ban took effect. “There’s no way we can stay in business like this. If you’re a small business, you have to accommodate your customers.”
Asked how long he would allow his customers to smoke, Ellison replied, “Until someone makes me stop.”
“Now that I’ve got the horse out of the barn, I’m going to ride him,” he said. “They said you get one warning and to use it wisely. I think I used mine wisely. Look around.”
Bar Owners Alter Strategy to Fight Smoking Ban
August 18, 2008
By Andrew Nagy??
After months of fighting a countywide smoking ban through protest and other traditional means, Kanawha County, West Virginia, bar owners are being advised to try a new strategy: filing insurance claims.
The West Virginia Association of Club Owners & Fraternal Services is urging the claims be filed against the Kanawha-Charleston Board of Health for committing a “wrongful act” when it passed the smoking ban.
To the chagrin of fuming bar owners, the health board passed the countywide ban and it took effect July 1. Owners took to the streets of Charleston on August 4, claiming the ban has had a negative impact on the local economy.
And they have data to prove it, not just anecdotal claims. According to the state Lottery Commission, bar customers spent $1.2 million less gambling from June to July, a 9 percent decrease. West Virginia legalized the use of video lottery machines in bars in 2004.
Jesse Banes, spokesman for the club owners association, believes this loss of state tax revenue is enough evidence for lawmakers to take a second look at the legislation, perhaps even rescind it.
“Only the state Legislature has the means to increase or decrease tax revenue, not the Kanawha County Board of Health,” Bane told The Charleston Gazette.
WENT TO MEETING ON SMOKING BAN ON AUG. 28! ?FOUND OUT AT 5:00 THE PAPER MIS PRINTED’ IT IS NOW THE 11 OF SEPT. ?THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! HOW COULD THE PAPER GET AUG. 28 AND SEPT.11 MIXED UP? ?OH WELL, WE WILL AIM FOR SEPT.11, IF THEY DON’T CHANGE IT AGAIN.
*****************
E-MAIL COMMENTS TO: kanawhalhd@wvhhr.org
THANKS,
JEAN ANGLE
THE POUR HOUSE SPORTSBAR
4030 WASHINGTON ST.W
CHARLESTON,WV. 25313
OUR WEB SITE:?? pourhousesportsbar.com
Kanawha smoking ban proposal debated at hearing
By Eric Eyre
Read
By Sarah K. Winn, Staff writer?
Carper wants all county agencies to go ahead with smoking ban
Daily Mail – Charleston – Charleston,WV,USA
Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper can’t wait until next year for the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department to enact smoking ban in public …
Charleston Gazette (subscription) – WV, USA
By Eric Eyre Kanawha County Commissioner Dave Hardy wants a 100 percent smoking ban. No exceptions. Not even for Tri-State Racetrack & Gaming Center. …
Jones supports exemption on smoking ban for gaming center
Daily Mail – Charleston – Charleston,WV,USA
Sixteen West Virginia counties have adopted smoking bans that include bars and gambling parlors, according to the Smoke-free Initiative of West Virginia. …
Kanawha Smoking Ban Could Become More Restrictive
A proposal to expand the smoking ban in Kanawha County is creating some controversy.
Consenting adults have the right to associate freely in smoky bars
CHRISTOPHER Columbus, arriving in America in 1492, returned to Europe with tobacco leaves and seeds. Walter Raleigh (1552-1618) is credited with popularizing smoking in the Old World.
Morgan Kelly
The proposed smoke-free regulation would ban smoking in bars and other non-restaurant areas, including areas that the county’s current smoking regulation lets slide, provided they are separate from eating areas.
