Ban Damage: NV Reality of smoking ban sets in Page 2
NV Reality of smoking ban sets in, Kitchens closing, workers losing jobs
Filings suggest company must restructure debt payments or face bankruptcy
Apr. 02, 2008,
By HOWARD STUTZ REVIEW-JOURNAL
The off-Strip Terrible’s is shown Tuesday. In a filings with regulators, Herbst Gaming, the hotel-casino’s owner, said its Southern Nevada operations have been negatively affected by failing economic conditions, a statewide ban on smoking in taverns and restaurants, and competition from American Indian casinos in Southern California.
Photo by Ronda Churchill
Casino operator and slot machine route manager Herbst Gaming may be forced to file for bankruptcy protection unless the company can reorganize a payment structure for its more than $1.146 billion debt, according to documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The Las Vegas-based company said its Southern Nevada operations have been negatively affected by failing economic conditions, a statewide ban on smoking in taverns and restaurants, and competition from American Indian casinos in Southern California.
Herbst Gaming operates 16 casinos in Southern and Northern Nevada, including the three Primm resorts along Interstate 15 at the California-Nevada border, 35 miles south of Las Vegas, and the off-Strip Terrible’s on East Flamingo Road. The company also owns three casinos in Missouri and Iowa and operates approximately 7,200 slot machines through its Nevada route operation.
The company is privately held by brothers Ed, Tim and Troy Herbst, but roughly $800 million of its debt is through publicly traded bonds.
In its Form 10-K annual report filed late Monday with the SEC, Herbst Gaming said the poor financial results the company experienced during the second half of 2007 have carried over into the first few months of 2008.
Herbst’s overall revenues were $849.2 million in 2007, almost 43 percent higher than 2006, because the company spent $543 million to acquire two major casino companies, almost doubling the size of its casino holdings.
However, a 20 percent loss in revenues from its slot route business, coupled with a doubling of the company’s costs, expenses and interest payments, sent Herbst Gaming to a net loss of $127.2 million last year.
In February, Herbst hired Wall Street investment house Goldman Sachs to evaluate strategic alternatives for the company, which could include anything from a debt recapitalization to a sale of some of its businesses.
According to an independent audit of the company’s finances by Deloitte & Touche, Herbst Gaming has “going concern” qualification, which is a default under its credit agreement with its bond holders. The company plans to discuss the matter soon with its bond holders to try and restructure the debt.
“We and our advisers are actively working toward such a transaction that would address the decline in our operating results and our capital structure, including our outstanding indebtedness,” the company said in the filing.
If Herbst Gaming cannot complete a refinancing or restructuring, the company may be required to seek protection under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
Herbst Gaming general counsel Sean Higgins declined comment Tuesday, saying the 10-K filing would speak for the company. Herbst Gaming is not planning to hold a conference call to discuss its 2007 year-end and fourth-quarter earnings.
Gaming Control Board Chairman Dennis Neilander said casinos operated by Herbst Gaming would be placed on a different status than other licensees because of the company’s financial warnings. Additional audits of the finances and bankrolls at each location will be conducted.
Neilander said the control board became aware of Herbst’s financial issues as they mounted over the last six months.
“This is not a new scenario for us,” Neilander said, saying the Aladdin on the Strip and Fitzgeralds in Reno were the last casinos to operate under bankruptcy protection. “It’s tough because they were hit by so many factors at the same time. At this point, technically, this is the process we have to take.”
An investment source with knowledge of the situation said Herbst Gaming wants to resolve the matter without filing for bankruptcy. The source said banks that control about $320 million of Herbst’s debt are pushing for some sort of resolution. The source said the bank debt is currently worth about 70 cents on the dollar while the bond debt is worth about 14 cents on the dollar.
Several sources said Herbst’s downfall began with last April’s $394 million purchase of the three Primm casinos from MGM Mirage.
“They overpaid, pure and simple,” said a gaming source who asked not to be named.
In January 2007, Herbst paid $149 million to acquire five Northern Nevada casinos, including the Sands Regency in Reno.
During Nevada licensing hearings in March 2007, Herbst executives admitted cash flow at the Primm casinos had fallen from $75 million in 2000 to about $30 million in 2003 because of Indian gaming competition. Executives told regulators they were confident they could win back lost business. A year later, it hasn’t happened.
Sources confirmed that Primm executive Michael Puggi, who had been operating the resorts for MGM Mirage and was retained by Herbst, was recently let go. In the 10-K, the company said the Primm casinos continue to lose business to the expanding California Indian casinos in Riverside County and San Bernardino County.
“The Primm casinos derive a significant amount of their business from the Inland Empire region of Southern California, the economies of which have been negatively impacted due to a number of factors, including the subprime mortgage crisis and higher gasoline costs,” Herbst Gaming stated.
In its slot machine route operation, Herbst blamed a voter-enacted statewide ban on smoking in places that serve food with sending its tavern and restaurant customers to traditional casinos if they want to smoke and gamble. The ban started in January 2007.
Not only have revenues in the route operation fallen, $276.9 million in 2007 compared with $347 million in 2006, but cash flow from the division was off more than 56 percent, $32.8 million in 2007 compared with $75.5 million in 2006.
Herbst Gaming said it has renegotiated several lease agreements and has decreased its annual rent payments by approximately $20 million.
“However, if we are not able to offset decreased patron play, or patron play continues to decrease, there may be a material adverse effect on our business, financial condition and results of operations,” the company stated. “The success of our route operations is dependent on our ability to renew our contracts.”
Taverns hurt by smoking ban
With butts out, bars lowered
Smoking ban in food-serving sites hurts revenue, slows spread for taverns
December 2, 2007
By HOWARD STUTZ, REVIEW-JOURNAL
Southern Nevada’s weakening economic conditions, coupled with a voter-enacted statewide ban on smoking inside businesses where food is served, has cast a pall over the once-booming tavern industry.
New taverns aren’t being built as fast as in previous years, said an official with the Nevada Taverns Owners Association, a trade group that represents the industry.
Meanwhile, revenue has dropped at many taverns — as much as 30 percent in some locations — because of a decline in customers and a decrease in the amount loyal patrons are spending.
Most blame the lost business on the smoking ban, which took effect in January. The prohibition against smoking sent gamblers who want to light up while playing slot machines to either a traditional casino or one of the handful of taverns built before 1992 that have 35 slot machines and are thus exempt from the smoking ban because the businesses were classified as casinos.
“There are a lot more challenges for an operator than ever before,” said Joseph Wilcock, the president and chairman of the tavern owners’ association. Wilcock owns The Brewery on East Sunset Road.
“The construction of new taverns slowed because some people want to redesign their plans in order to comply with the smoking ban,” Wilcock said. “But at the same time, the banks are jittery. They want to see the financial projects before they issue construction loans.”
Wilcock estimates that 75 of the tavern association’s roughly 300 members gave up food service to keep their gambling and smoking patrons. Most of the membership, he said, is complying with the smoking ban “but are losing their shirts.”
None, Wilcock said, wanted to give up the moneymaking slot machines.
During Southern Nevada’s economic boom times, taverns provided a lucrative business mode: a restaurant with reasonably priced food, a bar and 15 slot machines, most often owned by a slot machine route operator who serviced the games and paid out jackpots. Contracts differ, but for the most part, route operators split the slot machine revenues with the tavern owner, paying a fee to lease the space.
Tavern owners said gamblers often preferred the tavern experience to a locals casino, likening the atmosphere to the slogan from the NBC television series “Cheers,” which was set in a Boston-area bar that customers frequented because “Everybody knows your name.”
Roger Sachs, co-owner and operations director for the three Las Vegas-area Steiner’s taverns, said friendly service, good food and a lively atmosphere help keep customers from taking their business to a more traditional restaurant.
“Since we opened our store three years ago (on Las Vegas Boulevard South near Windmill Lane), about 15 traditional restaurants opened up around us. We lost some business, but it quickly came back.”
Sachs said the gambling devices made Steiner’s three locations profitable. He wouldn’t release numbers, but he estimated that each of the Steiner’s locations ranked in the top 10 percent in the county among tavern operations for gaming revenues before the smoking ban.
Since January, however, revenues from the slot machines are off 29 percent to 35 percent at each location.
“We probably do as well on food as anybody because that’s something we wanted to establish,” Sachs said. “But other places might take a monthly loss of $10,000 on food, but made it up with the gaming. That’s not the case now because the business is not there.”
Taverns are classified by the Gaming Control Board as restricted gaming licensees, along with convenience stores, laundries and other places with 15 slot machines or fewer.
Restricted gaming license holders don’t pay the state a percentage tax on their gambling revenues (the major casinos pay the state 6.75 percent on all gaming revenues.) Instead, restricted license holders pay an annual fee of $250 per slot machine, plus $20 per machine each quarter.
Gaming Control Board member Mark Clayton said the agency doesn’t audit the gaming revenues from restricted licensees because they don’t pay percentage taxes.
Still, an insight into how tavern owners have seen their profits drop comes from Herbst Gaming, Nevada’s largest slot route operator with approximately 7,200 slot machines in 700 locations throughout the state. The company has public debt and Herbst is the only route operator that publicly reports its earnings.
In the recently completed third quarter, Herbst said revenues from the company’s route operations were $66.1 million in the three months ended Sept. 30, a 21 percent drop over the same period in 2006. For the first nine months of 2007, Herbst’s slot route operations generated $212.5 million, 19 percent less than the same nine-month period in 2006.
“There is no question the smoking ban had a dramatic impact on our route operations and has fundamentally changed the slot route industry,” Herbst Gaming President Ed Herbst told gaming analysts following the earnings release.
United Coin Machine, which operates about 6,000 machines in more than 400 locations statewide, is experiencing similar losses in revenue. United Coin President Grant Lincoln said the smoking ban created an uneven playing field for the tavern operators, who don’t have the promotional budgets to match the customer incentives offered by the large casinos.
Like Herbst, United Coin is assessing how much of a financial effect the tavern industry will endure.
“There’s not a lot we can do,” Lincoln said. “As their volume suffers, our volume suffers. The question is, have we truly bottomed out? The smoking issue has been a fairly crushing blow for the average tavern operator.”
Lincoln said there are other economic issues facing tavern operators. Gasoline prices are climbing above $3 a gallon, which cuts into consumer spending, he said.
Sachs said Steiner’s bottom line first saw a change in customer spending habits when the real estate market softened. Housing speculators, who bought and resold homes in the vibrant environment, lost much of their disposable income and stopped spending as much on entertainment.
As the smoking ban took hold, tavern operators without a niche market suffered.
“I would say there has been an oversaturation in the market,” Sachs said. “With the economy right now, expansion has slowed.”
Sachs said Steiner’s is sitting on a potential fourth location, near Rainbow Boulevard and the Las Vegas Beltway in the southwestern Las Vegas Valley, but he’s waiting to see how the tavern association’s lawsuit challenging the smoking issue plays out in the Nevada Supreme Court.
For now, Sachs said Steiner’s will spend $75,000 to remodel the interiors at its three locations to separate the bar and restaurant areas with pony walls and glass, thus allowing smokers to frequent the bar and slot machine area once again.
Wilcock said many tavern operators will have trouble remodeling because of the cost. Banks, he said, aren’t as quick with loaning their money.
“I think we’ll start seeing a much different model as new locations open,” Wilcock said. “The new places will be built where smoking is separate from the food.”
This story first appeared in the Business Press. Howard Stutz writes for the Business Press’ sister publication, the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Contract reporter Howard Stutz at hstutz@reviewjournal.com or (702) 477-3871.
Faced with losing food revenue or customers who light up to casinos exempt from the law, tavern owners tap their creativity.
November 19, 2007
Howard Stutz
Bilbo’s dodges a contempt citation
Sep. 13, 2007
By ANNETTE WELLS, REVIEW-JOURNAL
Bilbo’s Bar and Grill and the Southern Nevada Health District are in a public and lengthy feud over the state’s smoking ban, but they’re not in contempt.
Bully’s Bar & Grill has gotten around the Anti’s.
They opened a “Smokin’ Bully’s”…. NOT using a LOOPHOLE as the writer suggests.
The law says that if a Bar has a Kitchen there will be no smoking.
A bar without a kitchen is Smoker friendly — if the Owner chooses.
– A Newsletter Reader
——-
Smokin’ Bully’s exploits Nevada loophole
JOHNATHAN L. WRIGHT, RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
8/29/2007
Gaming company blames second-quarter loss on smoking ban
Aug. 16, 2007
By HOWARD STUTZ,REVIEW-JOURNAL
Herbst Gaming boosted its revenue during the second quarter, thanks largely to the addition of three casinos in Primm.
However, tough anti-smoking laws covering grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants and taverns continued to hurt revenue from the company’s slot machine route operations.
Herbst Gaming, one of Nevada’s largest slot route operators with 7,200 slot machines in 700 locations, reported a net loss of $1.35 million in quarter ended June 30, as opposed to net income of $11.3 million a year ago.
Overall, revenue generated by the company’s 16 casinos in Nevada, Iowa and Missouri and its Nevada route operations was $231.6 million in the quarter, up 36.5 percent from $147 million in the same quarter a year ago.
However, revenue from the route operations was $71.7 million in quarter, down 21.3 percent from $87 million a year ago. Herbst executives blamed the smoking ban, passed by Nevada voters in November, as a reason customers were staying away from the route operations.
Herbst Gaming President Ed Herbst said during the company’s conference call that several cost-cutting steps are being implemented to help the route operations, such as renegotiating many of the route contracts.
“We’re going to absorb the changes and our route operations will rebound over the next several years,” Herbst said.
Herbst Gaming Chief Financial Officer Mary Beth Higgins said the smoking ban completely changed the slot route industry.
“This permanently changed the economics in this business,” Higgins said. “It is not a minor event. It is an industry-shifting event.”
Brian Gordon, a partner in Applied Analysis, a Las Vegas-based financial consulting firm, said a softening in the Southern Nevada economy in recent months may also be hurting slot route operators.
Gordon said economic indicators, such as softness in the housing market and slowdowns in overall employment growth, may be affecting consumer spending patterns.
“The smoking ban has had an impact, but it seems other factors may be playing into the market as a whole,” Gordon said.
The Primm casinos, acquired in April from MGM Mirage for $400 million, helped the company’s efforts. Coupled with the company’s four Northern Nevada casinos, purchased in January for $119 million, the Nevada casino operations generated $95.3 million in revenues, compared with $23.4 million during the same three months a year ago.
Herbst said he was pleased with the results the first full quarter the company has owned Primm Valley, Buffalo Bill’s and Whiskey Pete’s.
“These are three great properties and the strategy is to complete the integration and bring these acquisitions into the fold,” Herbst said.
By Ed Koch, Las Vegas Sun
ANNETTE WELLS
A judge on Thursday made it official: Bilbo’s Bar and Grill will have to remove its smoking paraphernalia, making it Southern Nevada’s first business reprimanded for violating the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act.
?