City Council Passes Smoking-Ban Compromise
A compromise smoking ban was passed by the Omaha City Council on Tuesday with a 6-1 vote.
A proposal was introduced that would give bar owners and keno operators almost five years to phase out smoking. Sponsor Councilman Franklin Thompson said the city’s keno contract runs through 2011.
Two groups are currently circulating competing petitions to put a smoking ban on the ballot, and one to put a ban on a smoking ban will be withdrawn. Mark Welsch of the Group to Alleviate Smoking Pollution said he would withdraw his ban petition and the organizer of the competing ban, Mike Kelly, told the council he would also withdraw his petition.
Jim Vokal, who supported a total ban previously, said he would vote for the compromise smoking because it is a start toward making Omaha smoke free.
“I’ve always been supportive of a total ban. This gets us there in five years,” Vokal said. “Currently, we have nothing. We do not have four council members that support a total ban on this issue.
The petition may or may not pass. I think the majority of the public is behind a ban. I encourage those people who don’t think this is strong enough to (work with the Legislature for a statewise ban).”
The vote will make smoking illegal in almost every public place, with the exceptions of stand-alone bars, Horseman’s Park and places where keno is offered. Those businesses will have to comply within five years. Businesses not covered by the grace period have until Oct. 2 to comply.
Council President Dan Welch was the only member to oppose it.
Mayor Mike Fahey will now decide whether to veto the ordinance. His office said on Tuesday that he’ll meet with members of the Omaha Medical Society on Wednesday afternoon before making his decision. Fahey has said he supports a smoking ban for all businesses.